Halong Bay Travel Guide, a perfect handbook for Halong travel! See to get more information for your trip to the World Heritage Area of Halong Bay.
Transportation to & from Halong Bay
1. Travel to Halong Bay by shuttle bus/car:
This is the most popular mean of transportation to travel to Halong Bay among other options such as train and helicopter. Hire private car or use shuttle bus service (Halong Bay tour package often includes this service).
2. Travel to Halong Bay by train:
• Hanoi-Halong Bay: Depart at 7h05 am at Gia Lam station, arrive in Halong Bay at 12h00 am.
• Halong Bay-Hanoi: Depart at 3h00 pm to turn back Hanoi at 8h05pm.
However, this train schedule is not convenient and takes longer time than shuttle bus.
3. Travel to Halong Bay by helicopter:
This service is available for charter; however, you will pay the high expense. There are some types of helicopter such as MIA-17 (24 seats) and MIA -8 (12 seats), produced by Russia and supplied by Vietnam Northern Service Flight Company.
4. Travel to Halong Bay from NoiBai Airport (170km, 3.5-hour drive):
It takes about 3.5-hour drive to Halong Bay from the airport. You have to hire private car to get there because there is not shuttle bus service with pick up at airport.
Note: The standard check in time for Halong Bay cruise is 12:00, so you should arrange your flight time to fit this schedule.
5. Travel from Hai Phong city/ Hai Phong Airport to Halong Bay (75km, 2-hour drive):
On this route, you can transfer by private car, just with 2-hour travel.
6. Travel from Halong Bay to Cat Ba island:
Take wooden junk from BaiChay habor to Gia Luan harbor, from there continue to use shuttle bus to Cat Ba town. Another option – Alternatively, take ferry from TuanChau island to Gia Luan habor then Cat Ba town.
7. Travel from Halong Bay to Ninh Binh city:
Ninh Binh is also a worth place to visit after Halong Bay trip. If you like, you can use local bus at Bai Chay bus station to Ninh Binh. Also, you can use private car service to get there, which is available.
8. Travel from Halong Bay to Sapa:
If you want to get to Sapa from Halong Bay, you can transfer by bus (Phuc Xuyen bus). It departs from Bai Chay bus station to Sapa with the daily schedule at 16h45 and 18h45. However, you will have long journey, nearly 500km.
9. Travel from Halong Bay to Yen Duc village (70km, 1.5-hour drive):
Located about 70km from Halong Bay on the way turn back from Hanoi, Yen Duc village is also a wonderful site to visit.
The Best Time to Visit Halong Bay
You can visit Halong Bay all year round; however, to have a perfect cruise you should make a plan carefully; for example, you can search something about weather of the World Heritage Area of Halong Bay to know the best time for visiting. It is worth to consider because bad weather may be an adverse effect on the visibility and even spoil your trip.
In the period from March to June is the best time to visit the bay. Also, you should avoid the main holidays in Vietnam including 30 April 30 and 1 May. At that time, Halong Bay will welcome a large number of visitors from all the regions so it is very crowded.
In addition, you can have good deals in the low season from June to September, but you should concern about storm forecasts. The period between October and November is the high season again and it is still sunny. December is cool and cloudy while the weather between January and February is cold, foggy and drizzly. There are some showers, which may hide the splendor of the bay.
In a day cruise, you will have a glimpse of Ha Long Bay and if you spend at least two-day cruise you will get the most out of your trip. Enjoy the stunning landscapes on the bay, admire the breathtaking moments of the day with the sunset, sunrise and a starry or moonlit night are great experiences that you will never forget.
“Must-see” Islands in Halong Bay
• Cat Ba Island: It regarded as the largest island in Halong Bay with the fantastic natural beauty of waterfalls, grottoes and lakes and various species.
• Dau Be Island: if you are looking for something more adventurous like steep cliffs, Dau Be island may be the best choice among many Halong Bay attractions.
• Quan Lan Island: Quan Lan temple is the most tourist attraction in the island, featuring with impressive architectural design.
• Bo Hon Island: This is a well-worth island to visit, because it owns the fantastic landscapes, and astonishing biological diversity. It is considered one of the biggest island chains with magnificent caves including Luon Cave, Sung Sot cave, Trong Cave, Tien Cave, Trinh Nu Cave.
Things to Do in Halong Bay
Visitors can learn more about local culture, society and bring home several meaningful souvenirs for your friends and family at interesting markets below:
• Ha Long Market: The market is built in 2003, located in the Halong city center, on Bach Dang Street. It is also the largest market in Quang Ninh province, and the popular shopping place for locals and tourists. Here you can see lots of goods of many types. (Opening time: 6h00 am – 6h30 pm daily, crowded on the weekend).
• Ha Long Night Market: Near Bai Chay beach, open every day from 6h00 pm until late night.
• Bai Chay Commercial Center: Located in Bai Chay area, on Vuon Dao street, Bai Chay Commercial Center is regarded one of the biggest and most modern shopping center in Halong City. (Opening time: 6h00 am – 6h30 pm daily)
Halong cuisine is very famous, featuring with fresh and tasty seafood that you shouldn’t miss when traveling here such as squid sausages, snail, etc.
• Besides Vietnam, Laos is also a good destination to visit in Asia. Consider the best Laos tour packages and Indochina tour packages offered by Laos local tour operator (http://laosfinder.com/). Go with us!